Wednesday 16 March 2011

The Lion King - West End Extravaganza and grubby gym kit!

I was delighted last Wednesday when I was offered the opportunity to review The Lion King Musical and offered two tickets for a 7:30pm showing.  HAW is not interested in musicals, Beansy prefers sport and my little Pixie is too young.   I spent a LOT of time in theatres as a child as both a performer and spectator and it has riled me for years that HAW would rather have hot needles poked in his eyes than see a musical. 

However, at the age of 4 my wonderfully charismatic Bo Bo is looking to be my "luvvie" in the making.  Since he could walk he has been performing, my dad has taught him all the old songs and he can do a fabulous Gene Kelly impression. 

He loves the Lion King and was so excited when I told him we were going.  I decided to drive as he had school the next day and I figured he could fall asleep on the way home.  However, in true SAM style we were stuck in the most horrendous rush hour traffic (we live 10 miles away) so at Clapham Junction, I decided to park the car and catch the train into Waterloo. I made a split second decision to change my clothes as had my new Jimmy Choo boots on (6 inches) and a lovely DVF wrap dress.  I ended up putting on my gym kit and trainers (yuck) but at least I was now dressed ready for mortal combat during rush hour. 

Sadly, in my rush to get us out of the car and onto the train to get there in time, I left my camera in the car and so sadly no photos to accompany this blog post!

We arrived with 10 minutes to spare, collected our tickets and found our seats.  We were then transported to the Serengeti Plains as we joined the young lion prince Simba as he starts his epic journey to become the King of the Pride Lands with help along the way from friends Timon and Pumba.

For those of you who don't know the story, it goes something like this:

"After the birth of Simba to King Mufasa and his Queen Sarabi Simba's evil uncle Scar hatches a plan to kill both Simba and Mufasa and proclaim himself as rightful King. Scar tells Mufasa that Simba is trapped and in need of help, Mufasa rushes to rescue his son, but is caught up in a stampede of wildebeests. Simba believing his fathers death is his fault flees the kingdom leaving Scar to reign over the Pride Land. The Lion King Musical follows Simba as he grows up and decides whether to return to the kingdom which has been almost destroyed believing he is to blame"

It was quite simply a rollercoaster of a musical, my Bo Bo was transfixed and on the edge of his seat the whole way through, the scenery was simply stunning and the amazing costumes were out of this world.   It is no surprise that over 50 million people worldwide have seen this and that it is one of the most popular family musicals to date.

The Lion King Musical features moving vocal performances from the whole cast and some of the most memorable songs from the film such as the phenomenal “Circle Of Life”. This wonderful show is complete with giant giraffes and antelopes and many more animals brought to life by striking puppets and special effects.



On leaving the theatre, my little luvvie asked "Can we come back tomorrow?"  He is my boy alright!!

If you want to find out more about London shows from where to eat, what to wear and how to act, then have a look at this really informative guide Superbreak 


Break a leg!

Love and Peace

SAM

No comments:

Post a Comment