Thursday 3 March 2011

World Book Day - a celebration

World Book Day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and is marked in over 100 countries around the globe. The origins of the day we now celebrate in the UK and Ireland come from Catalonia, where roses and books were given as gifts to loved ones on St. George’s Day – a tradition started over 90 years ago.

World Book Day is a partnership of publishers, booksellers and interested parties who worke together to promote books and reading for the personal enrichment and enjoyment of all.

A main aim of World Book Day in the UK and Ireland is to encourage children to explore the pleasures of books and reading by providing them with the opportunity to have a book of their own.

I couldn't NOT blog on World Book Day as we are voracious readers (except HAW but I blame the fact he works on a newspaper and reads all day long) in this house, it's a very important part of who I am, as I constantly have books on the go and I hope I am passing my love and passion for the written word onto my children.  So far they are all loving books and we are currently re-visiting my favourite childhood books.

Beansy is 7 and currently relishing the Famous Five and Secret Seven.  He is reading his way through my collection and I can't wait to get the little ones into bed so we can snuggle down for a chapter or two with lashings of lemonade and ham sandwiches ;-)

Beau Boo is mesmerised my vintage ladybird collection - classics such as Chicken Lickin, Aesop’s Fables, Cinderella and Snow White and Rose Red.  The illustrations are superb and as well as looking at my old collection, quite often we pick them up for pennies in the charity shop.

Pixie is just getting into fairy tales and seems to be fascinated by fairies - I cannot wait until she is old enough for Malory Towers and St Clare’s (I have been known to have a sneaky read every once in a while)

They ALL love the magic Faraway tree but not as much as I do I have to say.  I am so grateful to my parents for preserving my collection.

There will always be a special place in my heart for books and I hope that World Book Day reaches out to others in the same way.




What are you currently readind with your children??

No comments:

Post a Comment