Wednesday 30 March 2011

Wicked - A spectacular theatrical experience

Last night will go down as one of my most memorable theatrical experiences.  I have spent a LOT of time over the years in various theatres as both a performer and spectator and was utterly delighted when I was offered 3 top tickets by Superbreak.com to see Wicked.

I have been almost reluctant to see Wicked as I am a massive "wizard of Oz" fan and I was concerned that the magical feeling every time I watch the movie would somehow be broken if I "knew" what the real story was.  Like most people I was aware that the story was based around the witches but didn't really know the full story.

I took two girlfriends with me, one of whom only saw the show in January (and couldn't wait to go again, surely a good sign!) and one who like me was a bit dubious in case the wonder of the original film was somehow tarnished.

From the moment I walked into the Apollo Theate at Victoria, I was captivated.  I hadn't been there for at least (maybe more) a decade when I took clients to see "Starlight Express" and I had forgotten just how beautiful the theatre is.  Originally built as a cinema in early 1930 is had all the splendour and glamour of the Art Deco period. 

We settled in our seats and from the opening scene I was captivated. 

"Wicked" looks at the relationship between Glinda the good witch and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West.  They meet at Shiz University where Glinda is your arch typical, ditzy, popular blonde whilst Elphaba is the social outcast because she is green. 




Initially they are arch enemies but after a lovely gesture by Elphaba they become best friends.  They then go on a journey that alludes to "The Wizard of Oz" in so many subtle ways, you find out who and why the Lion, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow are and how they came to be in Oz.  It is a story of love, rivalry and friendship.   I am not going to say any more on the story as I really don't want to spoil it for you.

Several times during the performance I had goosebumps and the score, magical effects, costumes and superb storyline will keep you on the edge of your seat until the final curtain.  It got a very well deserved standing ovation.  I can't wait to go again.

If you fancy a weekend in London then have a look at London Hotels and don't forget to check out this really insightful guide London Theatre Guide but my advise is see "Wicked".  I can honestly say it is the best show I have seen in a very, very long time.

It's not just wicked, it's awesome, amazing, enthralling, enchanting, spine tingling, spectacularly great!

Peace and Love

S.A.M

No comments:

Post a Comment